On Thursday, April 03, 2014 12:09:41 alex kot wrote:
> Since LKML is down you can read the context in the point of view from
> phoronix. http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTY1MzA

Moronix is a terrible rag of yellow journalism. Here's straight from the
Debian developers who recently had a thorough discussion on the merits of
various init systems when picking the one to use for the release of Jessie:

http://lwn.net/Articles/578208/

Also if you want a more thorough summary of the multi-month discussion in the
style of Phoenix Wright:

http://aceattorney.sparklin.org/jeu.php?id_proces=57684

> Torrie,
> I don’t disagree; a universal init is much needed.  This will help with
> segmentation in Linux and improve reliability, documentation, and
> stability.  The problem with systemd is the approach they are going.
>  Developers seem not to test things and want to throw it into mainstream.
> Also the concept to integrated things into the kernel that are not part of
> the monolithical kernel I am against.  For anyone who wants to see that is
> a comparison/breakdown of init on gentoo’s wiki.
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Talk:Comparison_of_init_systems
> I have a feeling the more we talk about init this will turn into a VIM vs
> EMACs debate, lol.

systemd has been around for four years and has been the default init system on
various distros for just as long. Things are in fact tested and not just
foisted upon users. The developers don't even have control of what
"mainstream" is. The packagers and distro maintainers make that choice based
on the real technical merits of the software.