We had originally intended to have a small stock of electronics for sale
from Synhak but decided against it due to no one wanting to keep another
set of paperwork for sales. 501(c)(3)'s however are allowed to operate
stores. As you said we would not be able to use our tax exempt status  for
purchases but we are allowed to operate retail so long as our mission is
not fully dependent on this income, nor does our mission become retail. The
IRS had us clarify our intent during the exemption process. The most well
known example of a non-profit operating a  retail space is Good-Will.

We also have(had?) reseller status at Sparkfun so, I believe, we pay
wholesale on things. Retail is a mild complication come tax time for SynHak
but it is allowed under the law.

regards,
Andrew L