This idea was starting to merit it's own thread given Rob, Philip, and
Dave's contributions. So as not to derail Will's question/discussion I
moved it over here.

Casting aluminum can be done cheaply. I've cast random blobs using soup
cans for crucibles, a wash tub filled with clay insulation, a leaf blower
and lump charcoal.
backyardmetalcasting.com has a wealth of information including designs.
Propane and air work well, oil and forced air work well too but have a
tendency to make smoke during startup and if they blow out. I have a set of
needle drills I bought from hobby lobby for $15 so we could make our own
propane burner. People have reported decent results using MIG gas tips for
oil burners.
Getting greensand shouldn't be too hard. We can buy petrobond stuff or make
a few(10-15) pounds of wet sand while we test the waters. This will
definitely need to be done out of doors. We will also need to put down
-dry- sand around the furnace and pouring area. In the event of a spill hot
aluminum can cause explosive spalling of concrete sending concrete
fragments and molten aluminum in every direction, a bad thing(TM).

As Dave pointed out clay and especially graphite crucibles require specific
care if we want them to last. You need to bake out the moisture immediately
before each use and ensure they cool slowly in the furnace.Not filling them
during the initial melt stages allows the aluminum to shift and expand
without stressing them. Lastly handle them with care to avoid breakage.

The best kinds of aluminum to cast are extruded items like lawn chairs, car
rims, window frames, sliding doors, etc. Beverage cans work well enough for
art pieces and learning to cast but those allows are optimized for cold
working and forming into cans. The lid and body are actually two different
allows. Using Steel for crucibles and ingot forms is ok, but it's best kept
in mind that a portion of the iron does dissolve into the aluminum slowly
changing it's properties. As does sand casting except silicon instead of
iron, so if the end use has tight mechanical tolerances it's best to use
the least handled material possible. Chips are nice if that's all you can
get but their high surface area means you get more dross in the melt even
if you don't add them to an empty crucible. The bigger the starting
material the less dross and losses to adsorption you'll get.

I've got a few of the Gingery and Lindsay Books on aluminum casting I'll
bring to tonight's meeting so you can look them over Philip. As a side
note, why not just use steel plate machined to shape for your triggers?
Should be something do able with a bandsaw and some creative dremeling.

regards,
Andrew L