PROPOSAL
This is a formal Proposal to remodel and equip the space now known as the
Bike Shop at SYN/HAK and to purchase bike-specific and general-use tools.
 The project requires a lot of work, lots of tools, and some equipment to
actually become a functioning bicycle maintenance and repair station.  The
estimated cost for paint, lighting, electrical upgrades, workbenches,
equipment, and tools is $1100.  An in-progress list of things to buy with
the allocated funds is included at the end of this message.  Note that it
is subject to revision. The Proposal is to be funded by SYN/HAK.

BACKGROUND
Back in November 2013, when I first visited SYN/HAK, the prospect of having
a place where I could learn more about bikes and make some bike accessories
was high on my list of reasons to attend meetings and return to SYN/HAK to
work on my projects.

In April of 2014, in the spirit of do'ocracy, I cleared out and cleaned
about 15 linear feet of floor space in the hallway, at the end near the
wood/metal workshop.  I designated the area as the Bike Shop, installed
signage on the walls, set up a computer and a laser printer, and
temporarily moved a workbench to the space.

ADDITIONAL BACKGROUND COMMENTS FROM G
G was sad in April, and still is sad still regarding Angelo, per:
https://synhak.org/pipermail/discuss/2014-April/008167.html

Recently (5/27/2014) Rustbelt Magazine published profile of Tiny Circuits
and the Detroit Bicycle Company: http://beltmag.com/how-to-make-it/

Between my last observation and profile of Angelo, SYN/HAK's acquisition of
additional tools, like a pipe bender and welders and the RustBelt article,
I conclude that bike makers might be born right out of SYN/HAK, but it just
has not happened as of yet.

A Bike Shop at SYN/HAK will complement the Bike Kitchen in downtown Akron,
which legally cannot and will not weld in their facility, thereby providing
services that limit creation of a bicycle from scratch.

When I say Angelo is a living legend, I really mean it. At his age, he
should be designing bikes with volunteer help, such that his designs can
see the light of day, once and for all. To a certain degree, he is a maker
with tools in hand. Thus far, he has not had the opportunity to network and
mentor like-minded individuals that have the capacity to create new
human-powered moving things.

If a SYN/HAK Bike Shop is realized, it will change our bicycle-based
community in Akron forever. If will have an noticeable effect, even in
terms of economic impact.

As you all may know, it's not rainbows and unicorns with Angelo's
circumstance; it's more of an intellectual challenge.

Akron is going to lose a valuable talent. Angelo does indeed want to move
to Italy on a human powered vehicle of his design. Its an ambitious goal
that I wish him luck with. I hope that through the Bike Shop at SYN/HAK,
some of his ideas and knowledge can be allowed to be shared and actually
worked on, hopefully quickly, but in such a way that knowledge is not lost.
Remember, before the printed word, there was an oral-only tradition of
communication. I firmly believe that with the schedule that Angelo has, it
will be entirely possible to not only accommodate and outfit SYN/HAK for
bike fabrication, but to train members and non-members alike with the
invaluable bike building skills that he has. If members have not visited
Angelo's workshop yet, I invite you to visit him when Summit Cycling is
open. Contact me for his cell phone.

Lastly, he lives very near to the downtown area. If the Bike Shop becomes a
reality at SYN/HAK,  I'm sure he will be making wonderful powered things
here. We all should seriously give this opportunity a thought together.

OBJECTIVE
A working Bike Shop at SYN/HAK, with the proper tools and necessary
equipment, will be a valuable addition to the list of services, activities,
and opportunities already available at the space.  It will be an investment
in the future of SYN/HAK, in that it will serve as a major point of
interest and activity for both members and non-members.  A Bike Shop will
provide users with everything needed to perform bike maintenance, do
repairs, restore old bikes, repaint bikes, and  fabricate new bikes,
trikes, and carriers.  SYN/HAK will be able to provide users access to the
tools and equipment in the Bike Shop most any day of the week, depending on
the Open Hours schedule.  It will be the only Bike Shop in the Akron area
that is open to members and to the community at large (and free of charge)
that will permit all the activities needed to do maintenance, repair,
restoration, and fabrication on bikes, including welding, painting,
sand-blasting, and tube-bending.  In addition, the Bike Shop will be a new
area of learning that will offer one-on-one instruction by volunteers and
monthly classes by members or invited experts on certain weeknights and/or
weekends.  It will also serve as a place to accept and distribute bike
donations.  There are no plans to sell parts or accessories at the Bike
Shop or charge for any services in the name of SYN/HAK.  There are no plans
to charge for access to the Bike Shop for anybody.  The Bike Shop will be a
year-round activity point at SYN/HAK.

IMMEDIATE WORK NECESSARY

In order to make the Bike Shop a reality, the floor and walls need to be
cleaned, patched, and painted.  Overhead fluorescent lighting needs to be
installed, along with a wall switch.  Electrical receptacles need to be
installed on the interior wall.  Three 30in wide by 60in long by 30in high
workbenches, on casters, need to be constructed and placed in position.
 Pegboard needs to be installed behind the workbenches on the interior
wall.  Two full-length shelves need to be installed above the pegboard on
the interior wall.  The acquisition cost for the materials and hardware is
$650.  In order to work on bikes, in any capacity, there are many
bike-specific tools that are necessary to be available at all times in the
Bike Shop.  Negotiations are in progress to acquire a such a set of tools,
along with other equipment and supplies, from Angelo Coletta.  He is the
owner and operator of Summit Cycling, now located at Canal Place.  Angelo
will be retiring soon and plans to move to Italy within the next few
months.  The acquisition cost for stuff from Angelo is estimated at $450.
 Read more about Angelo and Summit Cycling in the email from G that was
sent to Discuss on April 15, 2014.

ACTION AFTER APPROVAL
Immediately on approval of this proposal and receipt of the necessary
funds, work will begin to clean, paint, remodel, and equip the space.
 Paint and painting equipment will be purchased and the walls and floor
will be painted.  Materials and hardware to construct the workbenches,
pegboard, shelving, lighting, and receptacles will be purchased, built, and
installed.  The tools and equipment from Angelo will be purchased and moved
from Summit Cycling to SYN/HAK.  All the work necessary to accomplish the
goals of this Proposal will be done by waiting and eager volunteers,
including both members and non-members.  The project is expected to take no
more than two weeks to complete.

GRAND OPENING
After completing the work and trying a few maintenance routines or repairs
on existing bikes now at the space, a Grand Opening for the Bike Shop will
be held on Saturday, July 5th, 2014, from noon to 10pm.  The event will
will coincide with the monthly Art Walk.  Refreshments will be served at
the event.

Addendum to the BIKE SHOP PROPOSAL

List of Stuff to Buy from Angelo Coletta/Summit Cycling and Home Depot

Estimated Total Cost = $1100

NOTE - this list is under constant revision.  Items may be added or
subtracted or the description modified, as necessary.

Tools and equipment from Angelo Coletta/Summit Cycling

Estimated Cost = $450

bike repair stand
bench vise, 4in
tire levers, 3
tire seater, 1
air pump, hand, with adapters
air gauge, 0-100 psi
spoke wrench
cone wrenches (13, 14, 15, 16, and 17)
wrench, box and/or open, SAE, various sizes
wrench, box and/or metric, various sizes
wrench, metric, Allen head, various sizes
wrench, ratcheting box and open end, various sizes
sockets, 3/8in drive, SAE and metric, various sizes.
punch, center and drift styles
Crescent wrench, 3, small/med/large
Vise-Grip wrench, 3, small/med/large
hammer, soft face
hammer, ballpein, 8oz and 16oz
hammer, sledge, 3#
screwdrivers, slot head and Phillips head, various sizes
chain tool
crank wrench and puller
pedal wrench, 15mm
pedal taps, various sizes
frame taps, various sizes
head wrench,  32mm and 36mm
head wrench and chain whip
adjusting cup pin spanner
chain cleaning equipment
chain checker
pin spanner, various sizes
sprocket remover
freewheel removers, various sizes
torque wrench
cable and housing cutter
cable pulling pliers
brake wrench, off-set, vaious sizes
brake toe-in tool
bottom bracket tools
cotterless crank wrench
cotterless crank puller
crank cotter remover

All tools to be inventoried, marked, stored, and used only in the Bike
Shop.
Lumber, hardware, lighting, electrical from Home Depot

Estimated Cost = $650

paint, wall, white, latex, gallon (2)
paint, floor, gray, latex enamel, gallon (1)
disposable paint tray (2)
disposable paint roller, 9in (2)
fluorescent light fixture, two-bulb, 4ft, with hanging chain (4)
4-gang receptacle, wall mount, in steel box, conduit connection (3)
conduit, 1/2in, 10ft (4)
switch, wall mount, in steel box, conduit connection (1)
lumber, plywood, and hardware to build three workbenches, 30in x 30in x
60in using standard 2x4 lumber for frame, 3/4in plywood for top, and
Simpson Strong- Tie connectors and screws for assembly (not painted, top
installed with screws to allow reversal or replacement)
casters, 3in, rubber tire, for workbenches (12)
pegboard, 1/4 hole, 4x8 sheet (2) (mounted on wall with furring strips,
painted)
pegboad hangers, various sizes, as necessary
lumber, shelf, 1x12, 8ft (4)
wall brackets, 12in (12)
wall standards, 36in (6)