From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2006 11:16 AM
To: discussion@acfug.org
Subject: RE: [ACFUG Discuss] Editor Options for CF7 (Macromedia Studio 8?
Homesite? Some other editor?)

I'll do a brief overview:

Pros
--------
- Free (that's a wonderful word)
- It basically does everything that studio does (color coding, help,
bookmarks, etc)
- It's extremely customizable - from snippets, shortcuts, layout, etc.  Just
a very tweakable interface
- Constantly being updated by the developers of CFEclipse (and it's open
source so the support is tremendous)
- They finally have an RDS plugin that works very well
- You can add additional plugins such as CSS, Javascript, Database, etc.
These are updated frequently so you're constantly able to get the most
updated code libraries for color coding, auto completion, etc
- Much better integration with VSS using the source safe plugin

Cons
--------
- Not all of the plugins work all that great (like the WebDAV/FTP
synchronization plugin - I can never get it to work)
- You can't just open a file in there, you have to open a random file in the
scribble pad which takes some getting used to (eclipse requires that you
create projects and you can edit files within your projects)
- Can't seem to get an FTP/WebDAV plugin to function properly

Overall, I would highly recommend to anyone looking to get away from DW
(buggy) or just looking to move up to a similar environment from
Homesite/CFStudio.  I used to absolutely love Studio (and I still use it
occasionally simply for the included help files), but I would have to say
that after having used CFEclipse for over a year now, I think I like it
better than the other ones currently out there.

For the record, I like CFStudio, Homesite, and Eclipse (I'm fond of
text-style editors and not a big fan of drag and drop stuff) and I'm NOT
fond of DW...

Allen