Of course, it gets a little confusing when discussing this. The "client"
request does take place from the CFML server. In case it's helpful, I'll
note that client certs for CFHTTP have been added as of some point in the
recent past. Here's a comment out of my help in HomeSite+:

"To use HTTPS with the cfhttp tag, you might need to manually import the
certificate for each web server into the keystore for the JRE that
ColdFusion uses. This procedure should not be necessary if the certificate
is signed (issued) by an authority that the JSSE (Java Secure Sockets
Extension) recognizes (for example, Verisign); that is, if the signing
authority is in the cacerts already. However, you might need to use the
procedure if you are issuing SSL (secure sockets layer) certificates
yourself."

The above and more are in the CFML reference at livedocs.macromedia.com (and
yes, that's not yet available as an adobe property, curiously):

http://livedocs.macromedia.com/coldfusion/7/htmldocs/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/h
tml/wwhelp.htm?context=ColdFusion_Documentation&file=00000272.htm

If you're still at 6.1 doc, see the comments below the text of the help for
CFHTTP:

http://livedocs.macromedia.com/coldfusion/6.1/htmldocs/tags-p58.htm