The name du jour, according to Sun, is Transfer Object. When I learned about them, the name was Value Object, so I'm sort of predisposed to that term.

Not sure who came up with calling them beans, as the term may be easily confused with JavaBeans or Enterprise JavaBeans which are != to TOs or VOs. I suspect it was someone in one of the CF framework communities that was attempting to coin their own term and they wanted to sound cool.

Shawn Gorrell
Web Development Applications Architect
Federal Reserve Bank - Atlanta
Office (404)  498-8449

"Teddy Payne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

11/02/2006 12:39 PM

Please respond to
discussion@acfug.org

discussion@acfug.org
cc
Subject
[ACFUG Discuss] Array of Value Objects vs. CFC query returntype

Last night during the meeting, there was a brief exchange on what seemed to be conflicting ideas on how to handle Flex data providers.

Shaw Gorrell and Scott Talsman argued two different points on popular ways to populate Flex components.

The array of value object represents a design pattern that relates to CF Components to bean value objects stored in a array, where each array element is an object invocation.

These beans are your getter and setter components that are basically glorified structures in the implementation.

Value objects have many different names that may confuse people.  Value objects are also known was Transfer Objects and Beans, which in the end are small foot printed CFCs.

Now Scott raised the point of query population.

Query population of Flex components are converted into Array Collections, which makes sense considering that ColdFusion stores queries like Arrays of Structures.

Each of these methods can be used and represents two different philosophies and preferences, but both of them work and work well.

It is your choice in the end which one you prefer.

Teddy

--
<cf_payne />
Adobe Certified ColdFusion MX 7 Developer

Blog:
http://cfpayne.wordpress.com/
Atlanta CFUG:
http://www.acfug.org