It can also actually slow development down because of needing more consensus from a community than you would as a single brutal dictator.

Shawn Gorrell
Web Development Applications Architect
Federal Reserve Bank - Atlanta
Office (404)  498-8449

"Teddy Payne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

11/13/2006 10:10 AM

Please respond to
discussion@acfug.org

discussion@acfug.org
cc
Subject
Re: [ACFUG Discuss] Sun sending Java to Open Source

The more open source your product is, the more support is needed because so many more people get their hands in the cookie jar and break things.

Upfront investment is less, but support over time will increase.

This has worked for a lot of software products.  I remember a model like this for certain flavors of Linux.

Teddy

Dunno. Maybe a bake sale? Or things like tools, training and consulting. Similar to how JBoss makes money not selling app servers. They give you the app server and sell you everything else.

I see it as a good thing, as they have been criticized for years for not setting Java free. They have been using the community process for driving specifications for a long time, so this seems like a logical extension of that. I'm sure that the Java pundits will be weighing in fast and furious on Sun's move, and that like the Flash thing there will be some who see it as a great thing and others who see it as the death-knell of Sun.

Shawn Gorrell
Web Development Applications Architect
Federal Reserve Bank - Atlanta
Office (404)  498-8449

Precia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

11/13/2006 08:52 AM

Please respond to
discussion@acfug.org

discussion@acfug.org
cc
Subject
Re: [ACFUG Discuss] Sun sending Java to Open Source

How can Sun profit from such a move?  How does this help sales and stock dividends?  I'm all for open-source, but I would also like to see the company to stay in business.

Precia

On 11/13/06,