Probably an easy problem for someone...

I want to put two small images in my database and then output them in my app, so that they do not constitute additional http requests. Consider it an experiment - I know that it may seem a bit silly. The goal is for the entire page to be delivered to the browser in one http request, instead of 3 (two images and one cf page) without doing any Apache tinkering. I have looked around the net for answers and cannot seem to make this work.

Database field is "imageFile" of type BLOB in MySQL 4.1.13. What is the proper way to insert the image?

Example: INSERT into Images (imageFile) values ('#base64(image)#')
-Or-
Example: INSERT into Images (imageFile) values ('#image#')

And then of course, how do you retrieve it? Example: SELECT imageFile FROM Images WHERE imageID=1

<cfoutput>
#toString(imageFile)#
</cfoutput>
-OR-
<cfoutput>
#toBinary(imageFile)#
</cfoutput>

As I say, I've not been able to make this work. If I use toString(), I simply get the raw data. If I use toBinary(), I get an error that the data cannot be converted to a string. Also, using CFCONTENT is fine to output the image, but then any code after that is ignored. So, short of saving the entire page and then outputting, it, I don't see a way to use CFCONTENT.

Derrick Peavy
Sales and Web Services
Universal Advertising
Phone: 404-786-5036