Take this with a grain of salt. SHA and MD5 are not broken. The article is VERY LIGHT ON DETAILS! This is likely an attack to increase the ability to force a collision. This is a useful attack in some circumstances... some. Does this mean passwords stored with SHA-1 hashes are suddenly vulnerable? Nope! You'd still need a brute force attack to break a well designed password system that used salted hashes, whether its SHA-1 or MD-5. I do recommend new systems implement SHA-256 or greater for password hashing. If your system uses MD5 or SHA-1 I wouldn't bother changing it any time soon.

Simply put by being able to force a collision -- two docs have the same hash -- you'd gain the advantage of being able to replace one document with another without changing the hash of the document, hence the problems with digital signatures. But can you replace one useful document with another document, useful to the attacker, without changing the context? Maybe... maybe not.

-dhs

Dean H. Saxe, CISSP, CEH
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt