Regarding being able to pick a user from a dropdown, yes, you just enter
their name. However, each "component" you specify has a default owner,
which we use here. Bugzilla also does the same thing actually. You don't
want a project with a thousand authors (read: the type of projects both
software was designed for) to have each author listed in the drop down,
eh?

Trac is also fairly customizeable via its trac-admin program, and has
useful features:

Milestones (useful for long term projects)
Versions (useful if you one Trac install per project. We don't, so we
turn this off)
Components (For components of a single project. If you're like us, then
we replace 'components' with products)
Ticket Priorities, which are customizeable. For instance, we replaced
critical with 'burning' ;)

Each subsection can be disabled if you so desire. Plus, its actually
fairly fast, since its written in python and we use it in Apache 2.2
(whatever comes with OpenSUSE 10.2) via mod_python.

--Justin Haygood