By crashing I mean I'll type a couple lines of code, then it just stops
responding and gives an hourglass until I stop it.  the javaw.exe process
also jumps to about 50% of my CPU.

Before I did have the Java perspective incidently on before, but switched to
just have cfeclipse perspective on with still the same result.  Turning on
the Show Heap Status option, I do have something in the lower right-hand
corner that says "14M of 40M".  Is that the heap?

I'm going to look into reinstalling the JRE altogether next and see if that
helps.