From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jeff Howard
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2007 1:26 PM
To: discussion@acfug.org
Subject: Re: [ACFUG Discuss] cfqueryparam and NULL attribute SQL Server
2005

Tom,

Syntax error on my part.  It is an UPDATE that I'm doing and not an
INSERT.  The code I provided is the update statement.  As far as the old
code, it exists in a backup file but is not present at all in the live
code.

The behavior that the app is displaying is as follows:

1.      If I click into the formfield and DELETE anything in the field
and hit submit it passes an empty string to the action page
2.      On the action page I have a CFDUMP and I output this "here--
#len(trim(Form.assetgrid.equiptype[Row]))# --#yesNoFormat(NOT
len(trim(Form.assetgrid.equiptype[Row])))# <BR>"  and this is displayed:
"here-- 0 --Yes "
3.      Using Management Studio I look into the DB and see NULL
displayed there in the appropriate column and row.
4.      I revisit my CFGRID/CFFORM and the field is blank (the behavior
I am expecting)
5.      I submit the form again and this time in the CFDUMP I see the
word/string "null"
6.      This time for the output of this code: here--
#len(trim(Form.assetgrid.equiptype[Row]))# --#yesNoFormat(NOT
len(trim(Form.assetgrid.equiptype[Row])))#  I get this: "here-- 4 --No"
7.      When I then look at the DB in Management Studio I see the
word/string "null" in the appropriate column and row.  If I run a query
against it looking for all with a value of NULL the record is NOT
returned.
8.      I then load the form again and in the formfield the word/string
"null" now appears.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong or what I'm over looking?

thanks in advance,

Jeff