I have continuously struggled with organizing files and setups between my
production and development environments.

I'm working with a number of sites, and each of them is usually on a shared
host. On my development machine I have directories for each site.

Development                Production

webroot/Site1/              / (The webroot for this site)
webroot/Site2/              / (The webroot for this site)
webroot/Site3/              / (The webroot for this site)

My question is the best way to reference various files with this situation.
Say I've got an /include/ directory that needs to be loaded with pages in
the site's root or in sub-directories. What's the best way to do this.

One way, I've managed this is to setup a session variable, SESSION.webroot
that gets loaded onAppStart by Application.cfc. Then I can just reference
the directory as #SESSION.webroot#include/filename.cfm.

It just seems like there ought to be a better way to reference common
directories like include, images, etc.

What's the best practice?

Thanks,

   Clarke