We rely on mappings and virtual directories set up in IIS.

Generic multi-site functionality is grouped
CFC - mapping to coldfusion CFC directory
CustomTags - mapping to custom tag directory
_Global - js, css, and shell template files

Each site has it's own local content as well
Components
Css
Includes
Javascript
Templates etc...

But the primary mechanism is to set up a config.cfm loaded in
Application.cfc/cfm - here we set or override all site dependant stuff
Application.cfcpath - usually set to CFC
Application.customtagpath
Application.globalpath
Application.installpath
Application.installurl