Yep, it really worked this time. I provide my final solution here for the
benefit of any other CF8 newbies who might not have had to deal with this yet:

One can presumably send whatever url parms one likes to the target page, but
for now, I played it safe and combined my two parms into a delimited string
(for example 'update~145') and sent only that one parm tacked onto the url
after the '?' as follows, where (in case you're curious), action is either
'update' or 'insert' and '145' specifies the three jobtypes, 1, 4, and 5, which
determine one callback behavior vs. another (this is for a court reporting
company):

ColdFusion.Ajax.submitForm('fmGenInfo','saveGenInfo.cfm?parmstring=' + action
+'~'+ '145',GenInfoCallback);

Then I pulled parmstring apart with ListGetAt inside the target page, and made
use of the only parm I needed there (the value of action, which was 'update' in
this case), and I ended the page as follows:

<cfoutput>~#url.parmstring#</cfoutput>

Notice the extra tilde, '~', in front of the url variable. This turned out to
be necessary because the HTTP response (or anyway the parts of it which get
sent to the callback function) includes not only the simple output I would have
intended, but all the comments in my page. So it was necessary to get rid of
them first, as follows:

function GenInfoCallback(parmstring){
   p=parmstring.indexOf('~'); // find where the comments in the HTTP response
end
   parmstring = parmstring.substr(p+1); // get rid of them
   p=parmstring.indexOf('~'); // now find where the mode parm ends
   mode=parmstring.substring(0,p);      // set that part to the mode variable
   typelist=parmstring.substr(p+1);     // set the rest to the typelist variable
   ColdFusion.navigate('populateGenInfo.cfm','getGenInfo');
   url = (typelist == '145') ? 'populateTx.cfm' : 'populateTkdnOrApp.cfm';
   if (mode == 'insert'){
      ColdFusion.navigate(url,'getTx');
      ColdFusion.navigate(etc. - omitted here)
      }
   }

This really is working now. But in addition to its ugliness, getting rid of the
first part is worrisome. Who knows when some future programmer, if there is
one, might put a tilde into a comment somewhere without knowing the
consequences. I explain this in another comment, but...

I seem to remember from my days as a CF5 programmer five years ago that there's
a way to tell ColdFusion not to send the comments. Does anyone remember what
that is? I scanned through the administrator and saw nothing promising, though
I admit  I didn't open every panel. But would that help anyway? There's also
lots of white space in the HTTP response sent to the callback function (where
all the <cfquery> statements were). My fuzzy memory says there's a way to get
rid of that, too. Hopefully one could specify that on a page-by-page basis?

Peyton