Barring some other requirement that dictates otherwise, you'd be better off
to keep the incrementing function on the database. Use an insert trigger on
the table to update the row or make the field autoincrementing.

Howard

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 12:45 PM, Paul Morton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  I'm just looking for ideas when creating a counter in a SQL server
> database.
>
> I have a need for a counter that stores an integer value and increments
> the counter each time it is used.
>
> My inclination is to create a table with one record with one integer field
> that is just retrieved, incremented, and updated each time I need a new
> number.
>
> It seems sort of kludgey, and I would love to hear any other
> implementations anyone may have used, or can dream up.  Also, if anyone can
> anticipate any issues with this method, I would love to hear them.
>

> I have no need for keeping any records of the numbers used.
>

> *Paul Morton*

Howard Fore, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"The universe tends toward maximum irony. Don't push it." - Jeff Atwood