Yes, sorry, I was having the sys admin check the mapping.  This is a new dev
server but he said the mapping is there.

Here is CF code:
<CFINPUT name="vendor_contact" size="30" type="text"
value="#vendor_contact#" required="yes" message="test!" class="textbox">

Then it throws a js error saying "Object Expected"

This is the code CF creates from View Source with the section with the line
number from the error message hightlighted in red:

<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
    function  _CF_checkPOrequest(_CF_this)
    {
        //reset on submit
        _CF_error_exists = false;
        _CF_error_messages = new Array();
        _CF_error_fields = new Object();
        _CF_FirstErrorField = null;
        //form element vendor_contact required check
        if( !_CF_hasValue(_CF_this['vendor_contact'], "TEXT", false ) )
        {
            _CF_onError(_CF_this, "vendor_contact",
_CF_this['vendor_contact'].value, "test!");
            _CF_error_exists = true;
        }

        //display error messages and return success
        if( _CF_error_exists )
        {
            if( _CF_error_messages.length > 0 )
            {
                // show alert() message
                _CF_onErrorAlert(_CF_error_messages);
                // set focus to first form error, if the field supports js
focus().
                if( _CF_this[_CF_FirstErrorField].type == "text" )
                { _CF_this[_CF_FirstErrorField].focus(); }
            }
            return false;
        }else {
            return true;