After a delay, I finally got back to my client's server to try your
suggestions, and they worked perfectly. Security was the whole problem, and it
was solved simply by going to Control Panel > Admin Tools > Services and giving
Cold Fusion an id with privileges to the shared network discs I wanted to
connect to. It turned out that my website's much earlier problem of not being
able to read FoxPro data via ODBC (circumvented by making nightly copies of the
relevant data to a directory I could reach) was solved in the same way: once
ColdFusion had an id with the correct privileges, it could get to the FoxPro
data with no problem.

Interestingly, in both cases the error message I had received was 'File not
found'. Could that be somebody's idea of an extra layer of security? To confuse
people about what the real problem is?

Many thanks to all!

Peyton