Using a UUID as an object identifier has often been promoted as a way
to compare two objects to see if they are the same.  About halfway
down the page:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/coldfusion/articles/oo_coldfusion.html
"To test for equality of two objects, you need a way of providing
objects with their own, unique identity. A UUID would be a good
solution. Many languages have the concept of object identity;
ColdFusion does not, but you can add this in quite easily by modifying
component.cfc."

Of course, this has other unintended consequences, such as the one you
are describing.

-Cameron

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 11:01 AM, shawn gorrell <chees...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> You got it. Basically a way of giving each instance a unique number. For
> what reason? I have no idea. Much better ways to accomplish exactly the same
> thing. The app came out shortly after CFC's came about, so I think there was
> some irrational exuberance about objects in play. Some people have gotten
> over that mindset, and others have gotten even worse. Sometimes I long for
> the days when CF was actually simple. There are people in the community that
> are trying to make it as complex as Java. When CF reaches that point, I'll
> just quit doing it and write Java code instead. Why deal with a middle man
> if the coding is going to be equally hard? This isn't me ranting about a
> desire to get rid of CFC's, far from it, but I do think that not everything
> has to be an object and not everything needs to be some pristine example of
> OO genius. I find "necessary complexity" (meaning simplicity) to be far more
> elegant.

Cameron Childress
Sumo Consulting Inc
http://www.sumoc.com