Ajas, I'll share my thoughts. I'm no expert in this subject, and things may
have changed, so someone can counter my observations.

First, the latter problem (of how files/pages opened via the browser open in
an unexpected program) is normally a matter of configuring the browser to
tell it how to handle a certain mime type. In the case of IE, though, it's
so tied to the OS that you actually configure it in the OS itself (which is
why Photoshop is opening the file, as it registered as the handler for that
file type. Check out (in IE) Tools>Internet Options>Programs>Set Programs.
For me, in Vista, that opens the "Default Programs" feature (also accessible
from Control Panel). From that, I can choose "Associate a file type or
protocol with a specific  program", and tif and tiff are each in the list,
where you can change there the program used-in your case to IE.

But here's the big question: are you interested in doing this for yourself?
Or for all users? In the latter case, obviously you have no control over
their browser (which they use, or its settings), so it's a tougher problem.
That's where you've done what you could, either configuring the web server
for a static file, or using CFCONTENT for one served by CF, to set the mime
type.  If browsers are set to handle that, then it will work. But again you
can't really control them.

Hope the helps, and sorry if it turns out I got anything wrong. :-)

/charlie