It's interesting that you note you didn't notice is as much when the site
was busy. One commenter on the MySQL bug db for this issue (http://bugs.
mysql.com/bug.php?id=27647) says that it looked to him like the CF driver
had dropped the connection and that the bug came when CF tried to use that
non-existent connection.

--
Howard Fore, howard.f...@hofo.com
"The worthwhile problems are the ones you can really solve or help solve,

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Jeremy Bruck <jbr...@growstrategy.com>wrote:

> We have used MySQL with CF8 (windows server) on a site and we were getting
> this issue at different times.  Interesting thing was when the site was very
> active with lots of traffic, the problem wasn't as noticeable.   You would
> sporadically though have a 10 to 20 second delay in opening the page and in
> the logs during this time you would see the null pointer error.
>
> Our metaphor to describe it was... "Their were X number of buses (threads)
> taking passengers (result sets) between 2 spots (mysql & cf) -- the problem
> is one of the buses would break down it would take 10-20 seconds to
> fix/scrap the bus and get a new one in to handle the passengers."
>
> We tried all the suggested fixes out there and couldn't ever find on that
> truly got rid of it for us and we were frustrating our clients too much.  It
> is my understand that this is ONLY a problem on windows servers - granted we
> never tested it on Linux but everyone including us that had the issue seemed
> to be on windows as well.  Our MS SQL sites on the same box had no issues or
> problems.
>
> For us, we moved this single website over to Railo with the exact same
> code, database and server and haven't experienced any issues (db delays,
> etc) for the past 4 months now since changing over.  Yes, our MS SQL sites
> are still running CF8 on the same box as well.
>
> Jeremy

> Strategic Growth Services, LLC
> Jeremy Bruck
> jbr...@growstrategy.com
>

> On Jul 8, 2009, at 12:01 PM, John Mason wrote:
>
>  Naturally this should be directly to the CF lists.
>>

>> http://www.coldfusionjedi.com/forums/messages.cfm?threadid=2BDF68EF-19B9-E658-9DDB2C6260E2CD89
>>
>> Check to see if the MySQL driver selected for the db wasn't the 3.x
>> version. CF 8 has two different options.
>>

>> John
>> ma...@fusionlink.com
>>

>> Clarke Bishop wrote:
>>
>>> I am troubleshooting an application that uses ColdFusion 8 and MySQL.
>>> Intermittently, it throws the error below.
>>> I've seen on the web where others have had a similar problem. Have any of
>>> you seen this? Do you know of a fix?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>>  Clarke
>>>

>>> java.lang.NullPointerException at
>>> com.mysql.jdbc.Statement.setMaxRows(Statement.java:2178) at
>>>
>>> coldfusion.server.j2ee.sql.JRunStatement.setMaxRows(JRunStatement.java:214)
>>> at coldfusion.sql.Executive.executeQuery(Executive.java:1276) at
>>> coldfusion.sql.Executive.executeQuery(Executive.java:1008) at
>>> coldfusion.sql.Executive.executeQuery(Executive.java:939) at
>>> coldfusion.sql.SqlImpl.execute(SqlImpl.java:325) at
>>> coldfusion.tagext.sql.QueryTag.executeQuery(QueryTag.java:831) at
>>> coldfusion.tagext.sql.QueryTag.doEndTag(QueryTag.java:521) at
>>> cfdbTest32ecfm1104898290.runPage(E:\web\engravedforever.com
>>> \WebTools\dbTest3
>>> .cfm:20) at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage.invoke(CfJspPage.java:196) at
>>> coldfusion.tagext.lang.IncludeTag.doStartTag(IncludeTag.java:370) at
>>> coldfusion.filter.CfincludeFilter.invoke(CfincludeFilter.java:65) at
>>> coldfusion.filter.ApplicationFilter.invoke(ApplicationFilter.java:273) at
>>>
>>> coldfusion.filter.RequestMonitorFilter.invoke(RequestMonitorFilter.java:48)
>>> at coldfusion.filter.MonitoringFilter.invoke(MonitoringFilter.java:40) at
>>> coldfusion.filter.PathFilter.invoke(PathFilter.java:86) at
>>> coldfusion.filter.ExceptionFilter.invoke(ExceptionFilter.java:70) at
>>> coldfusion.filter.BrowserDebugFilter.invoke(BrowserDebugFilter.java:74)
>>> at
>>>
>>> coldfusion.filter.ClientScopePersistenceFilter.invoke(ClientScopePersistence
>>> Filter.java:28) at
>>> coldfusion.filter.BrowserFilter.invoke(BrowserFilter.java:38) at
>>> coldfusion.filter.NoCacheFilter.invoke(NoCacheFilter.java:46) at
>>> coldfusion.filter.GlobalsFilter.invoke(GlobalsFilter.java:38) at
>>> coldfusion.filter.DatasourceFilter.invoke(DatasourceFilter.java:22) at
>>> coldfusion.CfmServlet.service(CfmServlet.java:175) at
>>> coldfusion.bootstrap.BootstrapServlet.service(BootstrapServlet.java:89)
>>> at
>>> jrun.servlet.FilterChain.doFilter(FilterChain.java:86) at
>>>
>>> coldfusion.monitor.event.MonitoringServletFilter.doFilter(MonitoringServletF
>>> ilter.java:42) at
>>> coldfusion.bootstrap.BootstrapFilter.doFilter(BootstrapFilter.java:46) at
>>> jrun.servlet.FilterChain.doFilter(FilterChain.java:94) at
>>> jrun.servlet.FilterChain.service(FilterChain.java:101) at
>>> jrun.servlet.ServletInvoker.invoke(ServletInvoker.java:106) at
>>> jrun.servlet.JRunInvokerChain.invokeNext(JRunInvokerChain.java:42) at
>>> jrun.servlet.JRunRequestDispatcher.invoke(JRunRequestDispatcher.java:286)
>>> at
>>> jrun.servlet.ServletEngineService.dispatch(ServletEngineService.java:543)