All,

As I sent out late last week, I did an upgrade from CF7 to CF9 over the weekend.

Unfortunately even with all the testing we did we came across a problem this afternoon.

Essentially, we allow inspectors to upload images that will eventually be used to create a pdf inspection report.

The images are from digital cameras and we will resize them down to 1024x768. (roughly, we do keep the aspect ratio.)

Here is the problem, with CF7 we called the cf_magicktag to get image size information, then we calculate the new size, and lastly call cf_magicktag a second time to do the resize.

Unfortunately, cf_magicktag does not work well with CF9. I thought that was ok because I would use the new CFIMAGE tag. Then this afternoon the brown stuff hit the fan as I found out that any image modified by CFIMAGE would not show up in A CFDOCUMENT.

Most of our pdfs that we created today with CFDOCUMENT had gray boxes instead of images. Everything else on the pdf was fine, but no images. I figured out that all the images uploaded before the upgrade displayed correctly in reports, but no image uploaded after the upgrade could be displayed in a pdf.

I did a search on the adobe forums and google and I only came up with the
following:

http://www.websavey.com/2010/02/coldfusion-images-not-loading-in-cfdocument-when-using-cfimage-

It sounds like the above person came across the same issue, but there was no resolution.

I was able to fix the issue by using <CFIMAGE action="info" ...> to make up for <cf_magicktag>'s problem and then use <cf_magicktag> to do the actual resize which fortunately works and the images now show up again in pdfs.

However, at best, this is an ugly hack. I was wondering if anyone else using CF9 (or possible CF8) has encountered this and how it was resolved.

Also, does anyone know what I can do with my uploaded images? I am going to try to see if I change the format (maybe from JPG to TIFF) if that would fix my issue for everything uploaded today. (for space, after the resizing, the originals are immediately deleted.) But, any suggestions on this would also be appreciated.

Thanks,
Frank