From: ad...@acfug.org [mailto:ad...@acfug.org] On Behalf Of John
Youngman
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 3:46 PM
To: discussion@acfug.org
Subject: Re: [ACFUG Discuss] Query within a Query

Perhaps in the Approach #2 you need "ticks" around the ids (single
quotation marks)? if you are working in varchar, why is it erroring on a
date type?

__________________________

John Youngman

j...@jg-technologies.net

http://www.linkedin.com/in/johngyoungman

On Feb 15, 2011, at 3:40 PM, Matthew Nicholson wrote:

Afternoon All!

I seem to be running into a bit of a syntax error for query within a
query.

Here's the situation,

I've got a query that creates contains an idea with an associated
display variable. I'd like to take that query and use QoQ limit the
results based upon a separate select statement or a list in a where
clause.

Approach 1: (Nested Select)

<cfquery dbtype="query" name="spListNarrow">

            select *

            from query

            where id in

            (

                        select distinct id

                        from table

            )

</cfquery>

Approach 2: (Create the List and try to use it)

<cfquery name="qryGetID" datasource="#main_dsn#" dbtype="ODBC">

      select distinct id      from table

</cfquery>

<CFSET IDs = ValueList(qryGetID.id, ", ")>

<cfquery dbtype="query" name="spListNarrow">

      select *

      from query

      where id IN ( <cfqueryparam cfsqltype="cf_sql_varchar"
value="#IDs#" list="yes"> )

</cfquery

Approach 1 fails as it seems to ignore the results returned from the
nested select and Approach 2 has issues due to date types.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I feel like
I'm missing something quite simple in all of this.

Thanks!

Matthew R. Nicholson

To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is
that which says: "Leave no stone unturned."
      ~Edward Bulwer Lytton