Note for the future...  Don't use DEBUG setting for the mail log...  (TMI, but at least not in a disgusting way)
"...will respool queue in 15 seconds..."
"...will respool queue in 15 seconds..."
"...will respool queue in 15 seconds..."
"...will respool queue in 15 seconds..."

As for my problem, My test last night produced 4 copies of the first email and only one of the second after one webpage execution.

In the middle of the night I took the drastic measure of rebooting the webserver. My test after the reboot only sent one email. I am currently waiting for the owner of the site to do his own independent testing to confirm it is working.

I'm still dumbfounded... It appears as if the reboot fixed any type of inconsistency in the mail spool. However, the big question is why was it this specific email function and no other emails? There were about 12 tests of this email function and each one generated multiple emails being sent out while every other email in both applications was fine.  No code change and a reboot stopped the problem(at least temporarily)

I am wondering if there was some type of hiccup when the byte code was originally compiled from the cfc that caused the problem... The reboot then cleared the class cache and it was fixed when it recompiled. This is currently my best *guess* Unfortunately I still don't know the actual cause.  (and I hate not knowing the real problem... I want to avoid this issue in the future, not keep my fingers crossed.)

Thanks All,
Frank