Has any freelancers/small business people on the list worked with international
clients?

I have been talking with a potential client that is located in Australia. I will
be creating a quote for him later this week. I wanted to know if anyone had any
advice before all is set and done.

I have checked salaries down under and I have learned that web developers make
roughly the same amount of money there. (I was shocked to find that they even
make a little more according to one of the websites I visited.) I am assuming
with salaries being similar that project pricing would also be similar.

I have researched the exchange rate (Roughly (au)$1 = (us)$0.95) and I plan on
writing the contract in terms that all amounts are in US Dollars. I figured that
I would mention the current rate in AU Dollars, but specifically mention that
the AU figure is subject to change as dictated by the currency exchange.

I asked my hosting company if they provide servers in Australia. Coincidentally,
it turns out the host that I use has its corporate headquarters in Australia.
(Though both my current servers are physically located in NJ.) I figured it
might be better for response time if the server is in the same country as the
client. (I know there are a limited number of transoceanic cables, but I do not
know if there is are any throughput problems down under...)

My accountant is about to start looking into the tax situation. For the US, we
know it would be taxed the same as a domestic client. He will check to see if
there is any potential AU tax liability. (If anyone has information one way or
the other to share on this it will be most appreciated.) I'm also wondering if a
lack of any physical goods changes this, or if the location of the physical
server makes a difference.

As for communication, we seem to have that covered... with the abnormal hours I
keep, it actually works out. (we have used google hangouts for video
conferencing and screen sharing.)

I know there is the potential for a deadbeat client, but I don't expect a big
problem here as long as I am the one in control of the server.

As I mentioned any advice on working with international clients is appreciated;
especially if you see something that I missed.

Thanks in advance...

Frank