My 2 cents.....

I've seen more poorly put together Hibernate implementations than I can
count.  If you don't REALLY know the data, how it's put together, how it's
used and keep the objects updated, Hibernate will automatically generate
the worst path imaginable to get the data you need.  I've also seen more
developers who couldn't write an efficient SQL Query if their life depended
on it.....

Some implementations may REQUIRE stored procedures for efficiency.

Study ALL of the tools available including their strengths and weaknesses
and choose the proper tool for the solution.  I've written a lot of all 3.
 If I could ONLY choose one method (and there have been instances of that)
- stored procs are the most versatile.  Just like anything else, the source
should be in source control.  It's no different than putting a process in
place for any other code.  You just do it.

--Dawn