Well, you don't have to uninstall it, but to be clear, installing a newer
version of CF is always installed "alongside" an earlier one. It never
"updates" it, except in the case of updaters (such as 9.0.1 over 9.0, 8.0.1
over 8.0, etc. And FWIW for any curious, 9.0.2 was NOT an updater but rather
a full installer.)

So it's not that you MUST uninstall 9 first, no. You could, and perhaps
should.

Two points of warning: if you do uninstall it, you will lose the CF Admin
settings such that when you install 11 it will not be able to import those
settings automatically. That may be a reason one would be tempted to leave
it in place.

Then again, many find that if they try to install CF10 or 11 on a server
running CF9 or earlier (and configured with IIS) it can cause problems,
because the approach used by CF to configure IIS 7 settings in CF9.0.1/9.0.2
(the only releases before 10 to support IIS 7) was quite different than that
used by CF 10/11.

Finally, along those lines, if you may choose to uninstall CF (to hope to
avoid that last problem), do note that uninstalling CF does not necessarily
completely "unconfigure" all the IIS settings, so it would be wise to use
the CF9 web server configuration tool , remove all the connectors, and THEN
uninstall CF. You may find that would make your move then to 11 (or 10) go
much more smoothly.