On Jan 19, 2013 4:25 AM, "Greg Zartman" <g...@leiengineering.com> wrote:

> > One other point. It would be nice to have say an IRC channel to be able
> > to hang out on and bat a few ideas about. Anyone have any suggestions
???

> We tried to do something like this some time ago and it was met with much
resistance and those of us who used it were basically accused of creating
some kind of "boys club"  where we were keeping secrets from the rest of
the community -- none of which was true.    Certain individuals want all
discussions on mailing lists so their is a permanent,  public,  record of
what was said.

That's only part of the issue, and IMO, it is a critical part. But...

The world is round. I sleep while you are awake. Email can be read at my
priority. And I can read the thread and digest and excerpt to address
salient points.

IRC has an immediacy that is valuable if you are there at the time and is
very stale and disjointed later. IM is worse (in this context) as decisions
are made on a one-to-one basis but people think they made them publicly. I
use all of these heavily as part of my job and the three media have very
different functions.

If IRC is useful to get things going, do it.

But I am one of the people who won't be there. This isn't petulance. I read
these lists when I have time to do so.

Please keep public decisions and discussions on the lists. If interim chats
happen in IRC, great. But provide that context here and don't assume others
are hanging out in IRC

Gordon