On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 5:35 AM, Gordon Rowell <gord...@gormand.com.au> wrote:

>> Has anyone actually owned the community version of e-smith/SME?   When
>> Mitel bought e-smith, I bet they were mainly buying the people, intangibles,
>> and marketing engine of e-smith.  Most all of the code was/is GPL.
>

> The GPL is a license under which code is released by the copyright holder.

The GPL  explicitly states that anyone can modify and redistribute
copies as long as the license terms are maintained.  So it is odds
with the normal concepts of ownership.  And those terms could only be
changed for future work if all of the copyright holders agree. I'm not
sure how the 'work as a whole' concept would be interpreted for
something like SME, though.   Normally it relates to the code and
libraries of a single process, but the design of SME makes the parts a
little more closely intertwined.

--
    Les Mikesell
      lesmikes...@gmail.com