Hi Paul,

* Paul Boddie [2017-11-28 23:06:24 +0100]:

On Monday 27. November 2017 13.52.55 Giovanni Biscuolo wrote:

please also consider that many respectable free software supporters are
proposing solutions that are **useless tech workarounds**; e.g. looking at
https://privacylab.yale.edu/ , in the "What we do" box, I read: "Hosting
Tor", "providing TAILS OS", "hardened GNU/Linux", privacy-respecting tools
such as PGP/GPG e-mail and E2EE messaging...

I know that you're trying to communicate that control of the hardware is
essential,

yes, and since I know that **useless* sounds harsh, I must comment about
this

I seriously *love* and use each of the above mentioned projects _and_ have a
profound sense of gratitude for the people behind them; I also know that
using that software is *much* better than not to use them (I'd be not here
;-) )

that said, please consider I used the term **useless** as an analogy in
this context:
«The summer of 2013 will remain the moment we finally realized how broken
the Internet was [1], and how much this had been abused.»
(http://youbroketheinternet.org/)

[1] http://secushare.org/broken-internet
this page presents a serious analysis of the inherent problems of Internet
design and currently proposed solutions, unfortunately just tech workarounds
(useless in the context of __documented__ abuses, we still do not know
nothing about the _undocumented_ ones)

so, as long as the statement "Internet is broken by design" should _not_ be
discarded just because it's harsh **and** it does not mean people should not
use privacy and anonymity enhancing measures provided by the workarounds
when using Internet, please consider not to trash away my **useless tech
workarounds** "label" :-)

in other words (sorry if I'm stressing on this), some computing devices have
become **virtual machines** running in a stealth host with a complete OS
running on it; you have not root access to the host, just to the virtual
machine (NIBM - aka not invented by me)

everyone relying on virtual machines must know what it means from a privacy
and anonymity POV

I'm fine using virtual machines, I'm using a lot of them for my business and
for my customers... so to paraphrase the #youbroketheinternet statement
above:
«The autumn of 2018 will remain the moment Giovanni Biscuolo finally
realized how broken *his* computing devices was, and how much this could be
abused; anyway he absolutely trusts his vendors, providers, local government
and all other governments around the world and he is confident his broken
devices will **never** be abused by the unknown root user»
but those other things still complement efforts to maintain overall
control of our computing environments, uphold privacy, and so on. As such,
they are not useless.

sorry but I disagree with you :-)

they are very useful for a broad spectrum of attack vectors, but useless on
virtual machines for *narrow* but potentially destructive attack vectors

[...]

then openly wonder why anyone would bother encrypting things or running
secure operating systems.

never said that: I bother encryption and all other security, privacy and
anonymity tech... but they are limited and I use it for a plenty of _other_
reasons (e.g. I use LUKS on all my hosts in case of theft)

So we need to consider all of these things, or at least many of them. These
days, I constantly find myself reminding people to beware of the zero-sum
game, as they promote their favourite things at the expense of other, equally
worthwhile things. This is no different.

I'm not promoting anything, I'm just questioning the proposed solutions in
the light of this new "discovery"
...not true, I'm _promoting_ a serious question: can the market alone fix
the "CPU as a service" issue?

I've no solution

Ciao
Giovanni