> On 11/1/05, alan walters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > [alan walters]
> > I have been thinking about this a lot recently. I was wondering if
rules
> > for squid ftp proxy ipsec extra. Could be added to the xml file. At
> > least this way the user has some control over what to do with them.
> >
> > I thought the best way to display these would be under there
relative
> > interface setting and grouped by the anchor points defined in pf.
> >
> > At least this would allow for a bit more transperancyy as to what
rules
> > are going on and maybe a bit more control over what services are
used
> > where.
> >
> > Look forward to hearing what other users have to say in respect to
this
> > issue on hidden rules in the /tmp/rules.debug file.
>
> I agree (who cares about the users when the devs - well at least one -
>  agree? ;-P), the system generated rules do need to be exposed.  It's
> one of the items on my "Enterprise readiness TODO" list.  Currently
> those rules are tied pretty heavily into the rules.debug generation,
> but I've got some ideas on the "best" way to move them out.
>
> I'm actually finding this somewhat refreshing, with the user levels,
> multi-user, and hidden rules discussions, it sounds like we're nearly
> at a point where SOHO is usable and we've peaked enough interest to
> consider it in an enterprise.
>
> --Bill
[alan walters]
I totally think that if you test it well in your environment first it is
a rock solid solution. We have a large number in place working
beautifully well. As core routers, filtered bridges and core firewalls.

I think at home I still have a 0.53 box running for how ever long ago
that series came out. It has a couple of cmd shell hacks for my wireless
but it is great.

Our present core firewalls have shown excellent robustness and ease of
use.

Wonderful job by a bunch on wonderful enthusiasts.

Cheers
alan