BH wrote:

DarkFoon wrote:

I talked to my client again today, and told him that pfSense would be the
best bet. I did actually look at a commercial solution (more than one,
really), some thing from D-link, and I told him the price: $6999.  He
proposed that he just buy 4 firewall/routers (like the little netgear
things) and hook them up. He claimed it would be cheaper for him because, at about $50 a piece, it would only set him back $200. I guess he firgued that
an integrated box (like a WRAP or one of the more powerful ones, most
likely) would cost more than that. I haven't verified, so don't hold me to
supporting that. Like I said before, it sounds simple, inelegant, and
wasteful.

A WRAP.1E-2 has 3 LAN interfaces (you could assign them as WAN, LAN & DMZ for the kids?) so it's pretty flexible for the situation you describe. Add a PSU, Compactflash card and a case and it would probably work out at about $200.

Does anyone have benchmarks on the WRAP running fpsense?