On 3/14/06, Greg Hennessy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Quite a bit.  I ran out of Avalanche/Reflector capacity at
> > 750Mbit, but the OpenBSD box I pointed the firehose at, was
> > only hitting about 30% CPU load at the time.
>
> Interesting, what nics were in the box ?

HP DL380G3 w/ Broadcom and Intel NICs.  I also ran an iperf test, but
ran out of physical boxes to generate and receive the load at around
900Mbit (I did determine the maximum xmit/receive rate of a Sun v120
running Solaris 8 though ;) )  During the iperf tests, the cpu load
was closer to 25%, but iperf generates larger packets, so that's no
huge surprise and why Avalanche is a much closer to real life test.

I've got some interestingly crappy test results while working on the
shaper before Beta 2 on a 1Ghz Via cpu here:
http://www.pfsense.com/~billm/spirent/1/
And I do mean crappy.  I wasn't trying too hard to get a good working
test, just tossing traffic to see what's blowing up and why.

> > I expect I'd
> > see better performance out of FreeBSD (w/ or w/out Andre's
> > work).  I plan on running the same tests against pfSense 1.0
> > when released.
>
> Looking forward to it.
>
> Putting in a DL-385 for the same client, on 6.x/PF with 4 * em to firewall
> off a large network backup environment.
> I should have some pretty symon pictures soon.

Very interested in results from a high throughput environment.  I'm
probably a good year or so away from deploying pfSense anywhere near
our high throughput (high dollar) production environment but I'm
interested in others results in the meantime.  For now, that
environment is staying on OpenBSD (and pf's native OS).  We're a large
company and pfSense doesn't meet our internal audit requirements just
yet - that's on my todo list (multi-user, change logs, etc).

--Bill