On 4/25/07, DarkFoon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'm considering installing the UPnP daemon on some home/home office boxes,
and I'm curious what the security issues are.
From my own (simple) analysis, the worst that could happen is a malicious
application could ask for many, many (almost all?) of the ports above 1024
to be routed to a machine, and that an external attacker might be able to
use all the port forwards to control said malicious program from the
internet and perhaps wreak havoc on the LAN net and maybe even the pfSense
box (with a keylogger and sniff the pw for the pfSense admin).

This is assuming I don't use the custom rules that I can specify. (which I
could use to mitigate some of the damage)

Your analysis is dead on.   Any application can open their own ports.
However our package allows limiting of source ips that can use upnp
to open ports.   So you could lock this down to 1-2 ip's, etc.

Scott