Is any of you running pfSense in a fully redundant hosting setting?
Care to share your setup?

I'm currently running two pfSense systems (2 NICs each) in
a transparent bridge mode, as a poor man's failover. I currently
have 3 VLAN-capable switches, I presume 2 would be enough,
if properly partitioned.

Sometime next year I'd like to have a second 100 MBit/s Ethernet
uplink added to the rack, for enhanced bandwidth and redundancy.
It looks like I no longer can do it with the transparent bridge
setup, at least not utilizing the doubled bandwidth.

Can any of you point me to a network diagram illustrating such
a setup, with two pfSense instances (how many NICs?) and two or
three switches? I presume it needs carp+pfsync in order for it
to work.

So far it looks like each pfSense instance would need some
5 NICs, there would be 2 switches each segmented into 2 port-based
VLANs (or tagged VLANs, in case of virtual NICs) and each server
behind the setup would need 2 NICs.

I am very sure the result is probably nonfunctional, due to
network loops, and certainly suboptimal.

What do you do to prototype and debug your setup? Use Vmware ESX server
(does ESXi work, too?). How you you test that the setup works?

Thanks.