On 02/02/10 11:58, Alexander Norman wrote:
> Try firmware upgrade on your broadcom network card.
> We had some issues where the broadcom cards would only recognize gigabit
> linkspeed but fail at 100mbit ports.

interesting, not sure how to do that TBH, these are embedded broadcom
NICs on the Dell R300 motherboard, the machine is single-boot pfsense
and I would doubt that broadcom provide a freeBSD flashing tool; could
possibly boot a linux live CD if there was one.

at the moment I'm not even sure I could find out what version of
firmware is installed!

the other half of the firewall cluster is an identical R300 bought at
the same time, and that runs happily at gigabit speeds.

colleague suggested swapping round the switch ports to see if that
solves the problem - a lot easier than finding a spare switch port and
reconfiguring to match. it's a cisco 3560E (non-blocking unlike the
cheaper G) so I hope it's not a duff port, these things are not the
cheapest devices to replace :-/