People just don't understand.
A lot of times choosing non opensource software over os ones comes
from real technical difficulties.
Giving the easy highlearn vs moodle is really not a good example as
highlearn is not only closed source but also a sucky system.
You have any idea how many programs that people needs just don't work
on linux? How many companies give license for windows
for free while the linux ones cost money? Do you know how silly it is
to claim that you can replace matlab with octave?
Or how hard it is to find professional  music editor for linux(no
matter opensource or not)?
If anyone think he has answer to those questions, or anyone knows how
to solve the various problems people have in releasing their code
under opensource license in university s/he are more than welcome to
email me.
Here at CS in the Hebrew U where we fight those question on daily
basis we could really use your help.

Ely