On 07/18/2011 11:06 PM, Shai Berger wrote:

> On Sunday 17 July 2011, Steve G. wrote:
>> By the way, is it not now illegal to support such a ban?
> No. It is a "civil wrongdoing": You can be sued for doing it, but not
> prosecuted.
IANAL

This is one of the most misunderstood laws in recent times. This is not
to say it is a good law. It isn't, and one of the main reasons it isn't
is because people think it outlaws things it, in actuality, doesn't. So
in the interest of enhancing the Israeli democracy, here is my take:

He cannot be sued, either. First, it is not the act of boycotting that
is prohibited, but the act of promoting others to boycott. This, alone,
clears RMS. Also, you need to be the boycotted party. You need to have
been included in the boycott not for anything you did, but merely for
being a part of Israel in some way. Last, unless malice is proven, you
will need to have been financially hurt by the boycott. "Malice" is not
defined by the law, but there is a principle that a law may not be
interpreted in such a way that a word or a sentence in it becomes
without meaning. Since the law requires calling for boycott, for reasons
other than the party's actions, and that the boycott call should have a
reasonable chance of being effective, then those criteria may not be the
ones that determine malice. Malice has to be something beyond that.

In other words, this law is hardly ever applicable, to anyone, and RMS
is no exception.

> (Just setting the record straight).
That.

Shachar