Mike Brown wrote:
Does distcc require a specific kernel to operate properly? I did not see any caveat on the doc page, but know that openmosix is kernel-bound (to integrate their patch) and hope the same is not true for distcc.

distcc is much more portable than openmosix. I have successfully created a hetrogenous distcc cluster using Mac OS X, Cygwin, and Linux. See http://kegel.com/crosstool/crosstool-0.28-rc6.tar.gz if you want to try it out. Only limitation is, my scripts only handle compiling for Linux targets, but you can run the cross-compilers it builds on just about any OS. - Dan

--
My technical stuff: http://kegel.com