Jake McGuire wrote:
I don't think blasting all N servers with a UDP packet on
each distcc run is a good idea.

It depends on the size of your preprocessed file. The one preprocessed file that I looked at from our build was 1.5 megabytes; compared to a thousand TCP packets, plus acks, plus setup and teardown, plus sending back the object file, a few tens of UDP packets is not a big deal.

This is kind of moot if we adopt the local server idea, which I'm tempted to do.

Ideally we'd have a proxy server or a hardware loadbalancer, but I don't think we have the budget or the network engineering resources for that to happen.

I think the local server does just about as well as a central proxy server could. Maybe better (it could be lower latency and cause half the network traffic).

And all my servers are
identical speed, and probably all running just one job,
so they're all either busy or not; no connection counts or
weights to care about.

You'd just run your distcc without load management in that case.

No, I still need to not use servers that are busy because of non-distcc jobs.

- Dan
__ distcc mailing list http://distcc.samba.org/