Dan Kegel wrote:
On 1/23/06, Stuart Longland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

We were just having a discussion (read: heated debate) regarding how to
set up distcc to work with cross-compiling toolchains.  The fly in the
ointment is dealing with certain packages, which ignore the CC and CXX,
and just call `gcc` (or worse, `cc`) instead of the fully qualified
compiler name (`mips-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc`...etc).

       There are a couple of approaches that we've nutted out:

1. Multiple distcc daemons on separate ports: ...
2. Single distcc daemon, with client-side wrappers. ...

So... I put the question to you, the developers... what's the correct
way to handle these "special" cases?  Is there a better way of handling
this?

Yes.  Fix the broken packages and send the fixes upstream.
That's what I do.

And for dead, slow, incompetent, or otherwise uncooperative upstreams? I don't think that's what he had in mind.

--
Andrew Gaffney                            http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
Gentoo Linux Developer                                   Installer Project