On Feb 5, 2006, at 2:44 PM, Dan Kegel wrote:
Examining the connection between client and server
using ping, I see that the round-trip time is usually 400
microseconds, but sometimes 4ms; the average is
about 1ms.

Server misconfiguration?  Or overloaded network hardware?

Is netstat -s showing noticeable packet drops?

I guess I'll experiment with turning on compression next,
and look at a protocol change for large files to try sending
just the hash of the source first, and sending the full
source only if the server replies with 'sorry, not in the cache'.

This doesn't sound like a bad idea to me (the protocol change, not the compression). I don't think that many people are going to be running different versions of distcc/distccd to make backwards compatibility a problem - the rpm builds both of them - and even if they are, making the hash message optional seems like an obvious choice.

But I thought I'd ask: just how awful is it to have a latency
that alternates betwen 0.4 and 4.0 ms, with an average of 1ms?
My guess is that it causes a significant overall penalty
compared to a uniform 0.4ms latency, but I haven't checked.

Given the network traffic in the current distcc protocol, especially if DISTCC_DIR is on networked storage and you have a bunch of servers (i.e. many NFS/CIFS lock attempts) this is going to be bad news.

-jake
__ distcc mailing list http://distcc.samba.org/ To unsubscribe or change options: https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/distcc