On Feb 13, 2006, at 5:28 PM, Dan Kegel wrote:
We're prototyping adding caching to distcc/distccd.

Excellent!

distcc protocol version 3 would have the client
send a new packet, OPTS, after the DIST packet.
OPTS would encode options as bits in the 64 bit argument.
The following option bits would be defined:

*snip*

Details: Why use a binary encoding? Network traffic at this point is pretty cheap, especially one-way data, as is the minor amount of CPU time to process some text. Bitfields just add the potential for endian screwups and make some sorts of processing more complicated.

How about:

Commands starting with '?' are optional, and require ack/nack. Like ? HSH for hashed source code.

Commands starting with '+' are optional and should be silently ignored if not supported. Like, say, if someone wanted to make distccd report statistics like cache hits, or wanted distcc to flush the object cache

Also... not sure what your build traffic looks like, but it's probably worthwhile to put a placeholder in the cache when compilation starts so that if there's a "hit" it only gets compiled once.

-jake
__ distcc mailing list http://distcc.samba.org/ To unsubscribe or change options: https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/distcc