When I was at PayPal, the localslots were hardcoded into the binary, and there was no option to configure it.   I added the option to make it more general purpose before I submitted the patch.  It sounds like the patch, as originally submitted, doesn't do what it is supposed to do.

Thanks for finding that, and fixing it.

-Michael