Hello,
This is my first post to the distcc mailing list, so maybe this has been brought up before, but I haven't seen it before. I'd like to add support for openslp to distcc so that zero configuration is possible with the daemon. Adding openslp support will involve a few difficulties, but I believe the payoff would be worth it:

Benefits:
- No need to find each distcc host, and then manually configure each.
- Each machine will broadcast a score of its speed and other stats
- The machine will broadcast its platform, so distcc knows what machines it can and can't use. Maybe in the future we could add better support for cross-compilers so you don't have to deal with the current hassle to use them.

Drawbacks:
- It requires distcc to have someway of determining machine speed
- No support for cross-compilers (but distcc itself really doesn't have good support for them either because it can't mask a crosscompiler as gcc, so a package on both the host and the nodes need exactly the same compiler names.

Michael
__ distcc mailing list http://distcc.samba.org/ To unsubscribe or change options: https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/distcc