Thank you to everyone for the feedback, I should have perhaps stated in my original message that these proposals are in draft form and can change in light of feedback from this list.

        "Have you considered using ssh mode for user authentication?"

For our setup it makes sense to use the GSS-API sitting on top of our existing Kerberos security mechanism, we expect this to be faster than SSH and has the additional benefits of being transparent to our users and circumvents having to specify the users that can access the hosts.

        "That sounds like a good idea. But I would like to hear more
         about the details."

Essentially, we are planning to implement specific build platforms and would use existing Zeroconf functionality to advertise them in order to allow for targeted builds.

        "Although I wonder whether maybe it should go in DISTCC_HOSTS
         rather than in a command line option?"

Taking that option off the command line and putting it into DISTCC_HOSTS sounds like a good idea.

        "Sounds reasonable, assuming that this is a separate component
         that is not tightly coupled to the distcc client and server
         (e.g. it should be optional)."

Agreed. The monitoring/accounting component would indeed be loosely coupled to the distcc client and server, not least to prevent any failures it may suffer from disrupting the build cluster. This additional component would simply extract log files and wouldn't require any changes to distcc or distccd.

It is part of our design criteria that any changes that we make to the code base will be entirely optional and will be disabled out of the box.

Thanks

Ian
__ distcc mailing list http://distcc.samba.org/ To unsubscribe or change options: https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/distcc