Actually I think I may be misinterpreting the log output.

I was noticing lots of lines like:
distcc[19451] cpp libxslt.c on localhost completed ok

...which led me to believe that some work was being done on localhost. But then just now I noticed it's also dumping lines like:
distcc[19451] compile libxslt.c on 192.168.0.10/10 completed ok

Different line, same filename. So, I don't think I'll continue this thread until I'm certain of what I'm seeing. To do that I think I need to get the monitor running correctly, but I'll start another thread for that.

Thanks,

 --chris