At 05:49 PM 11/30/2005 -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Then, after removing all the previously installed .egg directories and the
>build directory in my Myghty source tree, I tried
>
>     python setup.py install --prefix=/usr/local/mojam
>
>again.  Same result.

Argh.  Sorry, I just realized I was ignoring the part where you are using
"setup.py install" rather than easy_install.  "setup.py install" doesn't
honor easy_install's options, because it's assumed that only people who
don't have/use easy_install will run "setup.py install".  So, it's sort of
a chicken and egg thing here, as I had you edit options that somebody using
"setup.py install" wouldn't ordinarily be working with.  This is arguably a
bug in setuptools, so I'll work on fixing it.

In the meantime, you should be able to just do:

     python setup.py easy_install .

in order to do the installation, whether you use distutils.cfg or
~/.pydistutils.cfg.

Again, sorry about that, it's a problem with the setuptools "install"
command, which is just a wrapper around easy_install, but apparently isn't

I should probably also be recommending that authors using setuptools
recommend that their users refer to the EasyInstall documentation if they
are installing to custom locations.