Edward Ream wrote:
> Does anyone know of documentation for creating debian packags for pure
> Python projects?  In particular, I would like to bypass the make-centric
> build process and the debian/rules file.

The official Debian Python Policy document is the best starting point.

  http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/python-policy/

The Wiki seems to have some more information, too.

  http://wiki.debian.org/DebianPython/NewPolicy

You cannot really get around debian/rules, though.

The debian-python mailing list would be the place to ask further questions along
this line.

  http://lists.debian.org/debian-python/

--
Robert Kern